- Dollar General digs in as Family Dollar rebuffs takeover bid
- Video tour of new TargetExpress; four more locations on tap
- Microsoft plans NYC flagship store; 10 new stores for holidays
- Kantar Retail: Target Canada beats Walmart Canada on pricing
- CVS Caremark changes name to CVS Health as stores stop selling tobacco
Pittsburgh Dick's Sporting Goods Inc. said Thursday its fiscal first-quarter earnings fell 4%, as declining sales at established stores overshadowed gains from newly opened ones.
For the quarter ended May 3, the company earned $20.8 million compared with $21.7 million in the year-ago quarter.
Revenue rose 11% to $912.1 million from $823.6 million a year earlier.
The company attributed its rising sales to its newly opened stores. The company opened eight Dick's Sporting Goods stores and four Golf Galaxy stores during the quarter. Dick's Sporting Goods acquired Golf Galaxy in February 2007.
Dick's Sporting Goods same-store sales fell 3.8% in the first quarter. Golf Galaxy same-store sales fell 7.4%.