Schnucks Markets unveiled a smaller format with the opening of its store in Ballwin, Mo. Comprised of a 40,000-sq.-ft. ground floor and a 5,000-sq.-ft. mezzanine, the supermarket combines the inviting ambience of a neighborhood market and easy-to-navigate layout with an updated array of amenities. The space is designed to promote shopper interaction and to spotlight fresh and prepared foods.
(Click here to see a video slideshow.)
A smaller version of Schnucks’ 80,000-sq.-ft. flagship in Des Peres, Mo., the Ballwin store (both locations were designed by api+, Tampa) offers many of the flagship’s key features, including a wine tasting counter, cheese island, cooking demonstration center, and a Smoke and Grill area. The mezzanine features seating for in-store dining and a community meeting space.
The environmentally forward design includes the use of oriented strand board, a sustainable wood particle board, and other materials with high recycled content for signage and décor.
Other green initiatives include:
- Pervious pavement (57% of the total paved area) that reduces runoff and traps solids and filters pollutants at the source before draining into the soil;
- Rooftop irrigation system captures rain and filters it so that it can be used to irrigate on-site landscaping;
- Water conserving plumbing features in the restrooms;
- Heat reclaim tanks capture and use waste heat to help heat water;
- Occupancy and motion sensors control lighting in parts of the store; and
- LED light fixtures on the sales floor.
Design: api(+), Tampa, Fla.